It’s Scare Season! Where to Go for the Best Fall Frights
The nights are longer and there’s a chill in the air… it’s almost Halloween!! And that means scare season for local haunt actors Stacey Federoff and Dave Archer. They’re sharing their love of the holiday, which area haunts are worth a day trip from Pittsburgh, and how you and your friends can safely (and creepily?!) experience the frights and delights of their favorite “haunted” attractions.
This is episode is the second in a three-part series on the best fall getaways in our region.
For hard-core horror lovers:
- Chippewa Lake — east of Akron, Ohio (former slaughterhouse)
- Field of Screams — outside of Lancaster, PA, near Hershey
- Crawford School of Terror — Connellsville, PA
Less scary, still fun:
- Rich’s Fright Farm — Smithfield PA in Fayette County
- Factory of Terror — Canton, Ohio (excellent themed haunts like Friday 13th/Valentine’s Day/St. Patrick’s Day, and there are bars inside the haunt)
- Hopewell Windmill — Beaver County, PA (mini golf and ice cream)
- Freddy’s Haunt — Beaver County, PA (Stacey’s favorite for 90s feel)
- Haunted Hills Hayride — North Versailles, PA
- Castle Blood — Monessen, PA (theatrical vignettes in a former funeral home)
- Hobgoblin Hikes — Westmoreland County Parks
- Hallowboo at Idlewild — Ligonier, PA
- Kennywood Fall Fest — West Mifflin, PA
- ZooBoo at the Pittsburgh Zoo & Aquarium — Highland Park
- Boo Barn at Triple B Farms — Monongahela, PA
Best destination haunts:
- Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum — Weston, WV
- The Dungeon in West Virginia Penitentiary — Moundsville, WV
- Eastern State Penitentiary — Philadelphia, PA
- Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios — Orlando, Fla., or Hollywood, CA (as Dave says, the grand-daddy of all haunts)
- Knott’s (Scary) Berry Farm — Buena Park, CA
Want some more Pittsburgh news?
- Make sure to sign up for our daily morning Hey Pittsburgh newsletter.
- We’re also on Instagram @CityCastPgh!
- Not a fan of social? Then leave us a voicemail at 412-212-8893.
Interested in advertising with City Cast? Find more info here.
Want to know what's happening in Pittsburgh? Sign up for our free newsletter, Hey Pittsburgh. Packed with local news, curated event recs, local life hacks, and more, it's your daily toolkit for getting the most out of the city you love.
The Pittsburgh Film Curse You’ve Never Heard Of
Lights, camera, action! Now that the Hollywood actors’ and writers’ strikes are over, what does it take to get Pittsburgh’s movie biz rollin...
How Pgh Zones for Child Care, Community College Debt & Canada-Free Ball
It’s the Friday news roundup! PA still doesn’t have a state budget and it’s costing local community colleges and libraries a lot. Zoning cha...
Your Guide To Holiday Pop Up Bars In Pgh
Description: It’s the food show! We’re helping you get into the holiday spirit with Christmas pop-up bar recommendations. Plus, our tips on ...
Mapping What’s Left of Pittsburgh’s Past
Pittsburghers tend to be pretty nostalgic — we love giving directions based on what used to be somewhere — and our city is filled with these...
Bringing The ‘Hollywood’ Back to Life in Pgh
The Hollywood Theater in Dormont is back in business, temporarily. Developer Brian Mendelssohn is in the preview phase of a more than $1 mil...
Why PA Judges Got So Much Money & Attention
Judicial elections don’t usually take the spotlight. But this year, the race for PA’s Supreme Court between Democrat Daniel McCaffery and Re...
The Best Holiday Markets to Shop Small in Pgh
Tis the season to shop small! For this month’s City Cast Pittsburgh gift guide, we’re ticking off a swirl of upcoming art and craft markets ...
Who’s Matt Canada & Why Did Pittsburgh Fire Him?
Over the last couple months, one local name has become synonymous with failure — or at least culpability. The 6-4 Steelers may have a winnin...
Meet the Pgh Group Bringing Roller Skating to the Masses
It’s hard to tell now, but Pittsburgh’s got deep roots in roller skating. We’re talking about the heyday for local rinks, iconic moves like ...
Mayor’s Priorities, FuelPerks Ending & Light Up Night Newbies
It’s the Friday news roundup! The City Cast Pittsburgh team is going deep on Mayor Ed Gainey’s “State of the City” address and which of his ...