What the Rise in 'We Buy Houses' Signs Means for Pgh
Days after a standoff in Garfield over a home ejectment, the Pittsburgh Community Reinvestment Group released a studythat found corporate home buyers have been buying more and more property in the region. Lead producer Mallory Falk joins host Megan Harris to break down the impact of corporate purchases on homeowners, including when buying practices become predatory.
We love to cite our sources:
- Check out Pittsburgh Community Reinvestment Group’s new study on corporate home buyers in the region
- The New York Times covered the ways first-time home buyers are losing out in markets where investors and corporations are buying up houses
- ProPublica did a deep dive on the “We Buy Ugly Houses” company and how it targets desperate homeowners
- The P-G’s editorial board found a local example of a family who’d been pressured into a home sale at a vulnerable moment
- Bloomberg covered a new tactic some Pittsburgh flippers may be taking to try to get homeowners to sell
- Philadelphia requires flippers to provide prospective sellers with a homeowner bill of rights
- Senator Sherrod Brown introduced legislation to crack down on larger corporate investors
Want some more Pittsburgh news?
- Make sure to sign up for our daily morning Hey Pittsburgh newsletter.
- We’re also on Instagram @CityCastPgh!
- Not a fan of social? Then leave us a voicemail at 412-212-8893.
Interested in advertising with City Cast? Find more info here.
Want to know what's happening in Pittsburgh? Sign up for our free newsletter, Hey Pittsburgh. Packed with local news, curated event recs, local life hacks, and more, it's your daily toolkit for getting the most out of the city you love.
The Pittsburgh Film Curse You’ve Never Heard Of
Lights, camera, action! Now that the Hollywood actors’ and writers’ strikes are over, what does it take to get Pittsburgh’s movie biz rollin...
How Pgh Zones for Child Care, Community College Debt & Canada-Free Ball
It’s the Friday news roundup! PA still doesn’t have a state budget and it’s costing local community colleges and libraries a lot. Zoning cha...
Your Guide To Holiday Pop Up Bars In Pgh
Description: It’s the food show! We’re helping you get into the holiday spirit with Christmas pop-up bar recommendations. Plus, our tips on ...
Mapping What’s Left of Pittsburgh’s Past
Pittsburghers tend to be pretty nostalgic — we love giving directions based on what used to be somewhere — and our city is filled with these...
Bringing The ‘Hollywood’ Back to Life in Pgh
The Hollywood Theater in Dormont is back in business, temporarily. Developer Brian Mendelssohn is in the preview phase of a more than $1 mil...
Why PA Judges Got So Much Money & Attention
Judicial elections don’t usually take the spotlight. But this year, the race for PA’s Supreme Court between Democrat Daniel McCaffery and Re...
The Best Holiday Markets to Shop Small in Pgh
Tis the season to shop small! For this month’s City Cast Pittsburgh gift guide, we’re ticking off a swirl of upcoming art and craft markets ...
Who’s Matt Canada & Why Did Pittsburgh Fire Him?
Over the last couple months, one local name has become synonymous with failure — or at least culpability. The 6-4 Steelers may have a winnin...
Meet the Pgh Group Bringing Roller Skating to the Masses
It’s hard to tell now, but Pittsburgh’s got deep roots in roller skating. We’re talking about the heyday for local rinks, iconic moves like ...
Mayor’s Priorities, FuelPerks Ending & Light Up Night Newbies
It’s the Friday news roundup! The City Cast Pittsburgh team is going deep on Mayor Ed Gainey’s “State of the City” address and which of his ...