The Tropical Fruit That Grows in Pittsburgh
Have you ever tried a pawpaw? The fruit is ripe for tasting this time of year, and they grow right in our backyard, in our forests, and near our waterways. Hey Pittsburgh editor Francesca Dabecco is here to share some history of this native tree, plus some tips and tricks for finding or foraging its tropical flavor.
We love to cite our sources!
- Become a pawpaw nerd like Francesca and read “Pawpaw, In Search of American’s Forgotten Fruit,” by Pittsburgh author Andrew Moore.
- Learn about pawpaw’s Indigenous roots with The Allegheny Front
- Here’s a YouTube guide for how to find pawpaws in the wild
- Pittsburgh Reddit suggested a bunch of spots to find them in Pgh, but we have not vetted them!
Taste and celebrate at these regional events:
- Grow Pittsburgh’s Paw Paw Parties at Garden Dreams in Wilkinsburg - 9/12 & 9/19
- 8th Annual Paw Paw Festival in Fredrick, MD 9/16
- Ohio Pawpaw Festival in Albany 9/15 - 9/17
- York County’s 19th Annual Pawpaw Fest 9/23-9/24
- 2023 WV Pawpaw Festival at WVU Core Arboretum - 9/30
Want some more Pittsburgh news?
- Make sure to sign up for our daily morning Hey Pittsburgh newsletter.
- We’re also on Instagram @CityCastPgh!
- Not a fan of social? Then leave us a voicemail at 412-212-8893.
Interested in advertising with City Cast? Find more info here.
Want to know what's happening in Pittsburgh? Sign up for our free newsletter, Hey Pittsburgh. Packed with local news, curated event recs, local life hacks, and more, it's your daily toolkit for getting the most out of the city you love.
Why George Soros & Andrew Yang Care About Our DA Race
District attorney isn’t typically a sexy race, especially in Allegheny County where the same person has held the office since the late 1990s...
Whose Land Is Pittsburgh On?
The Steel City loves to revel in its own history, but many of those stories are rooted in colonialism and the generations of immigration tha...
Lawsuits, Boosters & Banned Books Week
It’s the Friday news roundup! Allegheny County leadership is at odds again — this time, over the fate of the Shuman juvenile detention facil...
Our Getaway Guide for Pittsburgh Beer Lovers
Maybe you like IPAs or lagers. Maybe a seasonal or sour is more your taste. Or maybe you’re just in it for the lawn games. Trace Brewing’s A...
It’s Scare Season! Where to Go for the Best Fall Frights
The nights are longer and there’s a chill in the air… it’s almost Halloween!! And that means scare season for local haunt actors Stacey Fede...
Leaf Peeping, Dark Skies, and Other Fall Getaways
It’s officially fall, which means leaf-peeping season is almost upon us. If you’re looking for outdoorsy autumn getaways, the City Cast Pitt...
What Broke the Pittsburgh Promise?
In 2008, the city and its foundations made a promise to all Pittsburgh kids – if you attend class and get decent grades, we’ll help you pay ...
Special Elections, Texting the Governor & Why It’s So Hard To Vote in PA
It’s the Friday news roundup! Pittsburgh had on impact on the whole dang state when we elected a new representative this week; Pennsylvanian...
How To Can Your Pittsburgh Harvest
It’s harvest season, and if you’re looking to preserve your bounty, we’ve got some tips for you! Richard Kralj, a food safety educator at Pe...
Pittsburgh Is Ahead of The Curve In Employee-Owned Businesses (Sponsored)
Pittsburgh played a pivotal role in labor history, and we continue to innovate today. City Cast content director Wil Fulton discusses Pittsb...