Pittsburgh’s Best Mac & Cheese
National Macaroni Day is tomorrow, and National Mac & Cheese Day is July 14, so we put our sharpest minds to finding the best in the Burgh. The City Cast team broke down what makes a good mac and cheese and where to get the best classic and elevated takes on the dish in the city.
Here are the mac’s that were gouda‘nough to make our list:
- The Rear End GastroPub and Garage in Etna has a classic mac meal
- Kelly’s Bar and Lounge’s mac-n-cheese is an East Liberty staple
- Bigham Tavern in Mt. Washington has a mac n’ cheese
- The Double Wide Grill on the South Side has two mac and cheeses we recommend, brisket and the “gas can mac”
- Smoke in Lawrenceville was an overall winner for both their classic and specialty dishes
Macs we’ve heard are worth a try:
- Urban Tap’s smoked gouda mac
- The food truck Blowfish BQQ has a mac and cheese entree
- Crafty Jackalope has a build your own option
- Fortuitea Cafe & Bakery has a ton of vegan mac-n-cheese options
- Carmi Soul Food has a macaroni and cheese side dish
Want some more Pittsburgh news?
- Sign up for our daily morning Hey Pittsburgh newsletter.
- We’re also on Twitter @citycastpgh & Instagram @CityCastPgh!
- Not a fan of social? Then leave us a voicemail at 412-212-8893.
Interested in advertising with City Cast? Find more info here.
Want to know what's happening in Pittsburgh? Sign up for our free newsletter, Hey Pittsburgh. Packed with local news, curated event recs, local life hacks, and more, it's your daily toolkit for getting the most out of the city you love.
The Pittsburgh Film Curse You’ve Never Heard Of
Lights, camera, action! Now that the Hollywood actors’ and writers’ strikes are over, what does it take to get Pittsburgh’s movie biz rollin...
How Pgh Zones for Child Care, Community College Debt & Canada-Free Ball
It’s the Friday news roundup! PA still doesn’t have a state budget and it’s costing local community colleges and libraries a lot. Zoning cha...
Your Guide To Holiday Pop Up Bars In Pgh
Description: It’s the food show! We’re helping you get into the holiday spirit with Christmas pop-up bar recommendations. Plus, our tips on ...
Mapping What’s Left of Pittsburgh’s Past
Pittsburghers tend to be pretty nostalgic — we love giving directions based on what used to be somewhere — and our city is filled with these...
Bringing The ‘Hollywood’ Back to Life in Pgh
The Hollywood Theater in Dormont is back in business, temporarily. Developer Brian Mendelssohn is in the preview phase of a more than $1 mil...
Why PA Judges Got So Much Money & Attention
Judicial elections don’t usually take the spotlight. But this year, the race for PA’s Supreme Court between Democrat Daniel McCaffery and Re...
The Best Holiday Markets to Shop Small in Pgh
Tis the season to shop small! For this month’s City Cast Pittsburgh gift guide, we’re ticking off a swirl of upcoming art and craft markets ...
Who’s Matt Canada & Why Did Pittsburgh Fire Him?
Over the last couple months, one local name has become synonymous with failure — or at least culpability. The 6-4 Steelers may have a winnin...
Meet the Pgh Group Bringing Roller Skating to the Masses
It’s hard to tell now, but Pittsburgh’s got deep roots in roller skating. We’re talking about the heyday for local rinks, iconic moves like ...
Mayor’s Priorities, FuelPerks Ending & Light Up Night Newbies
It’s the Friday news roundup! The City Cast Pittsburgh team is going deep on Mayor Ed Gainey’s “State of the City” address and which of his ...